Monday, July 20, 2009

VELVET

Alas, A Clue…Maybe
“We’ve got a lot to do, but I can’t do it on an empty stomach.” Danica looked at her watch. It was only eleven thirty. “Let’s grab a bite to eat and go over this list.”
“Sounds good to me.”
Chuck and Danica slipped into the booth at Tessa’s Grille. Aside from the food being the best in the area, Chuck and Tessa were first cousins, and he could always expect a little special treatment.
Tessa loaded their plates down with mashed potatoes, chicken tenders and green beans. They sat in silence for a few moments while they shoveled food into their mouths.
“Is it me,” Danica reached for a roll. “Or does her food get better each time we come in?”
Chuck stacked his fork with food. “I don’t know how she does it, but I’m glad she does.”
Danica pulled the sheets from the folder and placed them on the table so they could both see.
“I have no idea who half of these people are.” She shook her head. “It’s going to be awful having to track these people down then question them.”
Chuck picked up the green sheet and studied it. It didn’t make sense.
“Take a look at this.” He turned the sheet around so she could read it. “I don’t know who most of these people are either, but I do know they’re filthy rich.”
“Yeah, a lot richer than these.” Danica circled a few names with her finger.
“Maybe Dara can be of some help to us after all.” She smiled. “I think you should drop me off at the station so I can start finding the whereabouts of the rich and famous. Then you can pay her another visit. I’m sure she’d love to give us the lowdown on these folks before we haul ‘em in for questioning.”
“Good idea.”
Tessa came around to their table and refilled their glasses with iced tea. She looked at the two of them, heads down, barely coming up for air. She smiled. They were either starving or they loved their food. She preferred the latter.
“Would the two of you like dessert? I have sweet potato pie today.”
“What kind of question is that?” Chuck wiped his mouth. “But we’ll have to take it to go.”



*


Dara sat at her desk making the final arrangements for her next gig. She loved her job and the freedom it provided her, but there were times when she could do without the attitudes of her clients. “Dara darling can you do this? Dara darling can you do that?” All at the drop of a dime. Everything was always urgent and in some cases, life threatening. But as annoying as they could be, she was having a hard time believing that any of them could commit murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment