Thursday, August 6, 2009

VELVET


GOLD DIGGER
Liza looked around the room. Normally she loved buying a new gown and smiling for the local press. But this sham of an event was even more than she could bear.
“Tonya, I need to speak with you for a moment.” Liza touched the base of Tonya’s elbow, and led her to a corner of the room, away from Jerome Cleaves.
“What is it, dear stepmother? Diaper need changing?” Tonya looked at Liza’s newly cropped hair, styled to accentuate her beautiful features. “Ahh, I see you’re continuing to bleed daddy dry. I mean really Liza? Did you really need another pair of diamond studs?”
“We really need to talk. Whatever it is you think you know you’re wrong.” Her eyes were steady as she tried to reason with Tonya.
“Everything I know is the truth Liza. What’s wrong? Are you scared something’s gonna come back and bite ya?”
“You know I love your father.” Liza lowered her voice. “You’re going to look so foolish Tonya. He won’t believe you, especially now. “
“It’s too late for last minute appeals low-life Liza. I’ve already arranged to tell daddy in the morning. By tomorrow afternoon you’ll be out on your bum without a penny to your name.” For Tonya, the conversation was over. From the corner of her eye, she saw another guest she couldn’t wait to greet. “Liza, I suggest you start packing your bags. I always told you I’d find a way to get rid of you. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have guests to tend to.”

*

“You mentioned a pair of diamond earrings.” Danica looked up from her notepad. “Where are they?”
Rebecca motioned for Liza to remain quiet.
“That will be all for now.”

1 comment: