Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stinky Is Good In A Garden Of Lies



Agnes grabbed the bags of trash Larry left in the middle of the mudroom and took them outside. The sun was already beaming down, and she was thankful for the warmth.
“What are you doing up so early?” she heard from across the street.
“Cleaning up after my husband, as usual.” She smiled at Dayna and Xavier. “Bet you never have to do that, huh, Dayna?”
“Never.” Dayna slipped her feet into her flip flops and walked to the edge of the porch. She motioned for Agnes to come over.
“Hey guys, what’s going on?”
“I don’t know about you,” Dayna began. “But I’m a little concerned about that box. Why would Patience take it with her and leave the key here? It doesn’t make sense.”
Agnes was ready to give her response when they saw Larry pull into their driveway. As he walked across the street, he shoved his hands in his pockets.
“Shouldn’t you be in town protecting us?” he extended his hand to Xavier.
“I should say the same. I mean, someone is in need of legal counsel, and you can’t remember to bring your law books.”
He kissed Agnes’ cheek. “I actually came home to see if our neighbors needed help clearing out their attic. I got a call today from Gracie, and she’s a little worried about the good ole blackmail box. She said her mom is coming by too. So I think I’ll go change and see if they can use the extra help.”
Xavier drained his mug. “We’ll meet you over there in ten minutes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment