Monday, August 24, 2009

VELVET




BEST FRIENDS MY EYE
Buffie nervously flipped through her planner until the mean detectives were ready to talk to her. She didn’t know why she was so anxious. It had to be the upcoming bridal shower and the nuptials that loomed overhead that had her stomach tied in so many knots she couldn’t sleep.
The door beside her flew open and a petite woman dressed smartly in black slacks and a blue shirt motioned for her to come in.
“I’m Detective Cruz,” she pointed to the conference-style table and chairs. “This is my partner Detective Thomas. Please, have a seat.”
She did as she was told, not because she wanted to, but because of the large man that stood with his elbow propped on the tall file cabinet.
“Um, no one would tell me why I needed to come here.” Buffie looked around the small room. “Do you know how long this’ll take? I have to meet with my caterers in like an hour.”
“Oh, in that case, we’d better hurry.” Danica looked over at Chuck and winked. “How were things with you and Miss Somers?”
“Tonya was one of my best friends. We grew up together.” She wiped her eyes. “I would never do anything to hurt her.”
Danica smirked and tossed the folder on the table. She almost felt bad when the photos slid out. The detectives weren’t sure what sound escaped Buffie’s throat, but it wasn’t one of pleasure.
“I know you say you’d never hurt her, but the look in your eyes right here,” Danica zeroed in on Buffie’s face in the background. “Now that tells us something different.”

No comments:

Post a Comment