Tuesday, October 27, 2009

VELVET



SO SMUG

Chuck shook his head in disbelief as the foreman read the verdict. It was a kick in the teeth. Not guilty for both. They killed Tonya Somers in cold blood, assaulted Dara, and got away with it. He looked at Dara’s almost healed face and wanted to say something to comfort her, but he knew his silence would be best.
“Don’t look so dejected, detective. It’s not as if Tonya was your friend.” The voice behind him was a little above a whisper.
“Well, looks like you got away with murder.”
“Looks like. How bout I meet you for a drink later tonight. I still owe you a confession. And yes, I’ve checked everything. I love that thing the law calls double jeopardy. Remember I can’t be tried for the same crime twice...yada, yada, yada. So don’t get any entrapment ideas.”
“Six o’clock at Tessa’s.”
“Cheap and tacky. How appropriate.”

No comments:

Post a Comment