Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Stinky Is Good In A Garden Of Lies


“I thought you were going to help me. You were supposed to make this right.”
He’d never seen Patience so unnerved. He tried to touch her shoulder, but she jerked away.
“You get away from me! You’re supposed to be my best friend.” She made no attempt to wipe away the black mascara and eyeliner that ran down her cheeks.
He pulled her to him and would not let her move. “I talked to him. Look at me.” he cupped her cheeks. “I’m so, so sorry. He’s not going to leave her. He doesn’t want to leave her. He loves her.”
“Loves her?” she spat. “Loves her? Don’t you mean obligated to her? If she hadn’t trapped him, he’d be with me now, and we both know it! Look, he gave me this a few months ago.”
Xavier looked at the necklace. It was very pretty. It was also the necklace Larry had planned to give to Agnes before they had gotten into a huge argument because she suspected he was cheating.
“Think about it Patience. Nobody but me ever knew about the two of you, nobody. He and Agnes were never going to break up. Not for you or anybody else.”
“Think about this,” she hissed. “All of those letters of recommendations daddy and his friends wrote for you, you know the ones you had to have for those Ivy League schools? Well, I think I’ll make those disappear.”
The air in the living room had become thin, and the cool night air brought a little relief. As he leaned against the porch railing, Xavier closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Why would you do that? I don’t understand.”
Her eyes were wild. He had never seen her look that way before. “I trusted you and this is how you repay me. I hate you! And guess what?”
He couldn’t listen to her anymore and he was thankful that the sun had gone down and her face wasn’t as visible as it had been earlier. Xavier turned his back to her and headed to his car.
“Oh no,” she ran in front of him. “Don’t walk away from me! You’re so stupid. Now you’re gonna be stuck in Greenstone for the rest of your miserable life…you and your chucklehead of a girlfriend. And you know something else--”
He couldn’t believe he just hit a girl. He’d never done that before and would never do it again. His father had taught him to never raise a hand to a woman, ever. But Patience wasn’t a woman. She was a monster. She was a filthy creature that needed to be terminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment